The The Cinnamon Challenge was a thoroughly stupid online challenge, circa 2012.
Okay, so we’re putting this warning at the top so that you definitely read it and don’t do anything stupid: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, IT’S RIDICULOUSLY UNSAFE!
The Cinnamon Challenge was a thoroughly stupid online challenge, circa 2012. Unlike the Ice Bucket Challenge, which people did for charity (although some still managed to injure themselves), this stunt was purely so that the whole internet could laugh at you.
It involves filming yourself as you ingest a spoonful of cinnamon powder in under 60 seconds with no liquids to wash it down. In most cases, when people tried this, they failed, and wound up choking and spraying cinnamon everywhere as they hacked up a lung or two.
While some people might think that this is hilarious, in a few cases it went very badly and even resulted in the death of one young boy. The Cinnamon Challenge can cause choking as people breathe in the powder, which can then actually burn your lungs or even suffocate you. Swallowing it also makes your gag reflex kick in and can result in vomiting. And if you’ve got asthma, don’t even think about it because it can trigger an attack.
So please, keep that cinnamon for your apple pies or even better, just buy one of those Christmas candles that’ll leave your whole house smelling of the stuff for about a month.